Singer/songwriter, Nibs van der Spuy, is back home to share his unique soundscapes with fans on a journey round KwaZulu-Natal.
Following on from a successful Spring tour in Italy, this will be the first leg of his Natalia national tour and his first solo release in five years. Natalia was recorded by world renowned producer, Mark Tucker, and brings together strong themes and images of KwaZulu-Natal, while introducing new and exciting soundscapes to the music.
From October 28 to October 30 fan can catch Nibs at the Westville Theatre Club to play for old friends and new faces. He said: “It’s great to be back in KZN for some shows around the province.”
Tickets for the show at the Westville Theatre Club at 6 St James Avenue, Westville, are R100 for a table of eight (only pay for seven). Doors open at 7pm with the show starting at 7.30pm. Bring picnic baskets and wine. To book email email@example.com or phone 072 802 4129. You can also check out his website at www.nibsvanderspuy.com
Other dates on the tour:
- Friday, November 4 at Music in the Shed, Meadow Tea Garden, off Inanda Road, Hillcrest. Tickets are R100. Bookings: Cheryl at 083 381 9080. Entrance is via the dirt road directly opposite the entrance to Kirtlington Park. There will be an illuminated sign at the turn off. Gates open at 6.30pm, and the music starts at 8pm. Food and drink available. Booking essential.
- Thursday, November 10 at Summerhill Estate, 9 Belvedale Road, Cowies Hill, with Guy Buttery. Show starts at 7pm. Tickets R120. Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 031 709 3616 or 083 645 0999.
- Friday, November 11 at Twinstreams, Mtunzini at 6pm. Tickets are R100 (R70 for pensioners and students). Bookings: 035 340 1641 or 079 983 2664 or email email@example.com Bring picnic baskets and blankets. There will be a donation to conservation.
- Saturday, November 19 at Caversham Mill, Balgowan, with Nina Sugden at 2pm. Tickets R130 at 033 234 4524 or 072 125 3392 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Dinner can be bought from the a la carte menu two hours before the show.
Nibs is one of the most extraordinary world acoustic guitarists to come out of South Africa. Raised in KZN, he immersed himself in his natural environment to formulate a truly consummate and original sound. Growing up with The Beatles and learning first hand from traditional Zulu Maskandi guitarists, he quickly soaked up a rich tapestry of his close surroundings and beyond.
After playing the local folk scene around South Africa for years and gathering up a loyal following, his big stage break came after supporting Crosby, Stills and Nash on their 1996 South African tour. After that he was signed to the SHEER (South African World Music label) where he has released over 10 albums.
His third solo release, Beautiful Feet, received highly acclaimed accolades around the world where it was album of the month in four German publications and the Radio France FIP pick of the week.
Nibs continues to spread his musical beauty around the world where he has shared stages with the likes of Ben Harper, Bonnie Rait, Taj Mahal, Gito Baloi, Kelly Joe Phelps, Piers Faccini, Phillip Henry and Hannah Martin and Shawn Phillips and recording the critically acclaimed, In the shade of the wild fig, with long-time friend and collaborator, Guy Buttery.
Check out this link to his new solo album, Natalia.
Alternatively visit http://nibsvanderspuy.bandcamp.com and iTunes
If you want to hear more check these out:
- Nibs live at the Hibernarock Festival in France in February 2014
- Nibs and Piers Faccini, live in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Nibs – Anna Rosa
- Nibs – Jukskei
- Nibs with Guy Buttery – Trambicosa
- Nibs with slide virtuoso Phillip Henry
- Official Video for BEAUTIFUL FEET