IF you are looking for a way to entertain the little ones in the holidays, then make sure you book for Cris Cross Christmas and Rumpelstiltskin at the Rhumbelow Theatre in Cunningham Road, Umbilo, Durban.
Durban actress, writer and director Clare Mortimer has written a delightful play, Criss Cross Christmas, especially for little people, which promises to be full of laughter, song, dance, and audience participation.
The play follows the adventures of poor hapless elf, Holly, who is being dragged from mall to mall to sell Christmas cheer in the form of toys, and sweets (and things, things, things!) by the tireless terrible duo of Noel, the glutinous gluttonous reindeer, and Carole, the warbling, horrid little fairy.
As the tale unfolds, Noel and Carole continue to try and convince their audience and Holly that Christmas is about getting and spending and eating as much as you can, whilst little Holly feels certain it must mean something else. He is unfortunately pitted against very stubborn little companions indeed!
Joining Mortimer on stage are children’s theatre actors Rowan Bartlett (Winnie-the-Pooh, The Wizard of Oz) and Mpilo Nzimande.
Showtimes for Criss Cross Christmas are as follows:
- Wednesday, December 7 at 1.30 pm
- Thursday, December 8 at 11 am
- Friday, December 9 at 1.30 pm
- Monday, December 12 at 1.30 pm
- Tuesday, December 13 at 11 am
- Wednesday, December 14 at 1.30 pm
- Thursday, December 15 at 11 am
- Friday, December 16 at 1.30 pm
- Monday, December 19 at 1.30 pm
- Tuesday, December 20 at 11 am
- Wednesday, December 21 at 1.30 pm
- Thursday, December 22 at 11 am.
After the show there will be a short workshop where children can learn a new dance to teach family and friends over the holidays!
Criss Cross Christmas runs for 50 minutes, after which there will be a short break and the workshop. The show is suitable for kids aged three to 300.
If you want to make a day of it, you can also book to see Rumpelstiltskin, which is on at the same venue as part of a double bill.
In deepest, darkest Umbilo you will meet a host of characters including a greedy King and his evil wife, the Queen, her vicious pet crow, and their son the Prince; as well as the much drinking, foolish- talking Miller and his beautiful daughter; and a host of other village characters. Not forgetting the strange creature that lives in the woods, singing to himself in the dead of night.
The show stars Mortimer, Bartlett and Nzimande, who will be armed with masks and puppets, to bring you the tale of Rumpelstiltskin!
Show times for Rumpelstiltskin! are:
- Tuesday, December 6 at 1.30 pm
- Wednesday, December 7 at 11 am
- Thursday, December 8 at 1.30 pm
- Friday, December 9 at 11 am
- Monday, December 12 at 11 am
- Tuesday, December 13 at 1.30 pm
- Wednesday, December 14 at 11 am
- Thursday, December 15 at 1.30 pm
- Friday, December 16 at 11 am
- Monday, December 19 at 11 am
- Tuesday, December 20 at 1.30 pm
- Wednesday, December 21 at 11 am
- Thursday, December 22 at 1.30 pm
The show includes a short Christmas decoration making workshop to clear the cobwebs of creativity.
The running time is 60 minutes, with a short break and then the workshop. Suitable for kids aged three to 300.
Snacks and juices are on sale. Hot dogs will be on sale between shows if you are booked for both shows on the same day.
Tickets are R70 a ticket for each show. Book at Computicket or email Roland at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Ailsa at 083 250 2690.