In association with Concerts SA, Durban’s soul folk singer-songwriter-guitarist Rowan Stuart will be embarking on a multi-province tour this month, with performances in Gauteng, the Free State, the Northern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, joined by Andy Turrell on bass guitar.
Rowan has created an inimitable brand of soul folk music, with pop and world influences. Recalling Sting’s imaginative storytelling, Death Cab for Cutie’s sense of space and beauty, and John Mayer’s tight grooves, Rowan uses his notable prowess on the guitar as the foundation for his creativity.
His career came into full swing in 2014 with the release of Hidden Doors, his first acoustic album –fourth in his career. He has since toured South Africa extensively, and opened for some of the country’s biggest acts, including The Parlotones, Prime Circle, Freshlyground and many others.
Rowan’s talents were recognised by Cort Guitars, who invited him to become a South African brand ambassador. On big festival stages or in intimate venues, Rowan strives for excellence with every performance.
Respected musician Nibs van der Spuy says about Rowan’s latest album: “Hidden Doors is a testimony to Rowan Stuart being a world class songwriter, singer and guitarist. This is his first solo acoustic outing demonstrating his more sensitive side, employing tasteful finger style, funky rhythms, beautiful solos and a slide break on To Deny It which is goosebump-rivetting. Rowan Stuart is an unsung hero and one hopes that with this amazing and well-crafted outing and guitar prowess that he will reach a wider audience.”
Rowan Stuart’s Winter Tour is supported by the Music Mobility Fund, a funding mechanism administered by Concerts SA which offers opportunities for South African musicians to undertake live music tours.
Concerts SA is a joint South African/Norwegian initiative housed under the auspices of the Stakeholder Hub within the SAMRO Foundation; it receives financial, administrative and technical support from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the SAMRO Foundation and Concerts Norway.
Working with musicians, promoters, venue owners and audiences, the project aims to support live music in South Africa by finding and implementing ways to create a vibrant and viable live music circuit.
It also aims to develop an interest in and appreciation of live music by showcasing music performances and conducting workshops at schools.
For more information on Rowan go to www.rowanstuart.com and check out his music here: http://www.reverbnation.com/rowanstuart; www.youtube.com/rowanstuartvideo; http://www.itunes.com/rowanstuart
CONCERT DATES AND VENUES
- Friday, June 24 at 7.30 pm: Amuse Cafe, 34 5th Street, Linden, Johannesburg. Tickets R50. Bookings: email@example.com or 084 555 5252.
- Saturday, June 25 at 6 pm: Cafe Barcelona, 53 Thomson Street Colbyn, Pretoria. Tickets R50. Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org or 012 430 2495.
- Sunday, June 26 at 3 pm: Tings an’ Times, Shop 36 Waterglen Shopping Centre, c/o Garsfontein and G. Louis Botha Roads, Pretoria. No cover charge. Bookings: 012 993 0234.
- Wednesday, June 29 at 7.30 pm: Andy’s Acoustic Forum, Marks Park Sports Club, Judith Road, Emmarentia, Johannesburg. Tickets R50 (R25 for students). Bookings: email@example.com or 082 651 1094.
- Thursday, June 30 at 6 pm: ART JAM @ Latitude Art House, 95 Ivy Road Norwood, Johannesburg. Tickets R120 (including art class, supplies and dinner) or R100 pp for groups of four or more. Bookings: 083 452 4843.
- Friday, July 1 at 7.30 pm: Mojo’s, 250 Stateway Bedelia, Welkom. Tickets R160 (meal included) or R50 for students and R60 for meal. Bookings: 057 357 5594 or 084 958 3505.
- Saturday, July 2 at 8 pm: BeefStock @ The Occidental Bar, The Big Hole Complex, Tucker Street, Kimberley. Tickets R50. Bookings: 053 831 1296.
- Sunday, July 3 at 6 pm: 59 Plenty, 59 Gnrl Dan Pienaar Drive, Westdene, Bloemfontein. Tickets R40. Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 626 7606 or 051 444 1683.
- Friday, July 15 at 6 pm: South Coast Lions Show, Port Shepstone Country Club, Old Saint Faiths Road, Port Shepstone. Tickets R50 (adults) or R25 (under 18’s and pensioners) or free (under 12s). Bookings: email@example.com or 083 301 2883.